Monday, October 11, 2010

What I learn in school…

I’ve spent a good deal of time lately reflecting on the class. The readings have been, in so many ways, much more enjoyable than I expected. They are gripping stories that hit really close to home in so many ways. But, the most shockingly lovable aspect of the class (outside of the people in it) has to be the guest speakers. I’ve always imagined guest speakers to be where you just sit and listen to someone talk about what they’ve accomplished, or listen to them explain why they wrote what they did, their motivations and struggles, but instead, the guest speakers we’ve had so far are interactive and incredible. I was completely in love with the fact that instead of just listening to Alison Swan, we were able to connect and have legitimate conversation with her! It was so incredibly fun! Then, with Dave Dempsey, there was more listening involved, but he came fully armed with humor and kept my attention with ease.
                The readings we’ve done in the class so far have really kept me going. I’ve never been the English student who does all of the reading for class, but in this class, with the assigned readings, I’ve found it to be a pleasant and enriching experience to keep up on the readings. I enjoyed the humor of Bill Bryson as he hiked the trail. The readings in Alison Swans book really made me reflect on the lakes that I’ve grown up around. So far, though, my favorite stands as Tom Springer’s book. There is such a deep and meaningful connection that I can draw with his book that I end up feeling like he could be my next-door neighbor. This class and the readings we do within it have really deepened the feelings I already had for nature and the impact it has upon my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment